Severalls Asylum Colchester - Purple Corridor

Urbex: Severalls Lunatic Asylum, Colchester – March 2014 (revisit 3) Part 1 of 3

Briefly Severalls Lunatic Asylum aka The Second Essex County Asylum aka Severalls Hospital was built in 1910 and opened in 1913. At its peak the Asylum could house 2000 patients making it one of the largest in the country. Based upon the Echelon Asylum Plan Severalls has become well known for its spiralling Corridors which connect various buildings and the vast amount of bay windows within the wards.

Read details

Denbigh Asylum aka The North Wales Hospital

Urbex: Denbigh Lunatic Asylum aka North Wales Hospital, Denbighshire, Wales – March 2014 (Revisit 3)

The abandoned Denbigh Asylum aka The North Wales Hospital was completed and opened in 1848 to accommodate the Welsh paupers who were reportedly receiving poor treatment in comparably English Lunatic Asylums. Electro-Convulsive Treatment (ECT) and Pre-frontal leucotomy operations aka Lobotomy operations were performed here.

Read details

St Georges Asylum aka Northumberland County Pauper Lunatic Asylum aka Ivy Hospital - The Ivy Bathroom

Urbex: St Georges Asylum aka Northumberland County Pauper Lunatic Asylum aka Ivy Hospital, Morpeth – October 2013

The now abandoned St Georges Asylum near Morpeth also known as The Northumberland County Pauper Lunatic Asylum first opened on the 16th March 1859. The large Victorian building was built in an Italian red brick style with stone dressings. The Asylum was originally constructed to accommodate approximately 200 male and female patients…

Read details

Serenity Hospital - The Spiral Staircase

Urbex: The Royal Hospital Haslar aka Serenity Hospital, Gosport – May 2013 Part 1

The Royal Hospital Haslar was founded in 1753 and was designed and built by Theodore Jacobsen between 1946-1961. When it was constructed it was both the largest hospital and brick built building in England. Britain’s first Naval Hospital which span a huge area on the coastline of Gosport is also the site of a massive unmarked grave site with an estimated 7,785 buried sailors…

Read details

CMH aka The Cambridge Military Hospital - Operating Theatre Doors

Urbex: CMH aka The Cambridge Military Hospital, United Kingdom – February 2013

History The Cambridge Military Hospital, built by Messrs Martin Wells and Co. of Aldershot, was located at Stanhope Lines. It was named after Prince George, Duke of Cambridge and opened on 18 July 1879. In the First World War, the Cambridge Hospital was the first base hospital to receive casualties directly from the Western Front.…

Read details